Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lori Foster/Dianne Castell Reader & Author Get-Together 2009

I'm home from a gloriously decadent weekend with more than 305 of the loveliest people: readers and writers of romantic fiction. When you spend 3 days with people who all believe in Happy Ever After, you can't help but feel that the world is a joyful and miraculous place.

Three of my friends from the Ohio Valley Romance Writers of America chapter roomed with me. They were party animals who kept me awake all night talking about--what else? Romance books. And sex . . . in romance books, of course.

We swapped books. We bought more books. We hounded more than 100 published authors present at the Get-Together for their autographs--and they were unfailingly gracious.

We tweeted at each other (it was a twitterific time and I found a dozen new friends to follow). We bid on the best selection of silent auction baskets I have ever seen--full of books, ARCs, wine, chocolate, purses and even a couple Kindle e-readers.

Sometimes we worked. My friends and I participated in a two-hour presentation by Samhain Publishing's Angela James--a useful primer on e-publishing. Some of us met with agents, editors and romance experts like Romance B(u)y the Book guru, Michelle Buonfiglio. I even caught a couple writers writing (you know who you are, Gia Dawn!)

We drank a cocktail or three. We sang Babe. We played trivia games. I lost, but Donna MacMeans gave me a consolation bracelet, although I would have rather had her hat. We drew naughty pictures. We took photos and videos to blackmail each other with (keep your eye on twitter links and blogs from attendees--you might get to see yours truly making an idiot of herself.)

And at $52 for the entire two days, I think I made a profit--and I wasn't selling anything! I came home with fifty (count 'em, fifty!) new books and SO much swag! Never shall a book of mine go unmarked again.

I'm exhausted and blissful . . . and I'm going to read a book. Top of the stack is LuAnn McLane's Redneck Cinderella--perfect for a new Kentucky girl who's happy to be home.

22 comments:

  1. Didn't I beat you at jeopardy? LOL It was a fabulous time and can't wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wiped me all over the floor (me with my ZERO points.) I missed the Lori Foster question, for pete's sake. And I think Bonnie Rose Leigh got it on camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to meet you! Good luck with the Harlequin submission...isn't that cool?! This weekend was the most fun I have had in ages! So many bright and beautiful women in one place! Thanks to Lori and Dianne for all the planning and work and everyone else! It was fantastic! My daughter wanted to know when the next one was? She has plans....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Silent Auction Queen is in the house! Lawyer Deb, it was great to meet you. And yes--talking to the editor was way cool. Looking forward to meeting your daughter next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great time, for sure. We've added it to our calendar and will make sure to be there every year. Loved meeting you in person ya crazy tweeter you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's @nettisue, my tweetup buddy! Yes, folks, we had a tweetup at the gathering. I feel positively trendy. Sarah McCarty says SecondLife is the next big thing, so maybe next year I'll send my avatar to the gathering.

    Naw . . .I want to go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am croaking and look like a zombie, but it was SO MUCH FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great to see everyone on Saturday and keeping up with you guys on Tweeter on Friday night!! Now we have a whole year to wait...and wait...and wait...What am I complaining about? Isn't waiting part of this crazy process?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zombies are in, Becke--weren't you paying attention? Oh, wait . . . you were partying till the crack of dawn. That's right.

    And Tonya, waiting is only fun when you have people to whine about it with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had such fun! Can't wait until next year. I have a stack of books for pool reading when Bae Barb lets me escape the closet. Keri I hope you enjoy Redneck Cinderella.

    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay that's why I should have previewed my post... hahaha *Bad* Barb I'm just too tired from too much fun...

    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. LuAnn,
    You sure know how to turn the screw: Just finished wedding cake scene and am fetal with sympathy. BUT little bro has given me hope . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keri - sounds like you had an incredible trip! SO jealous. Hope you have some pictures to post soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a great time at my first Lori Foster get together and I can say now it's going on the annual must attend list.

    It was great to meet you and can't wait for next year!

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cyndi,
    I am an epic #photofail. Didn't take my camera! But so many others did, that I plan to lift pics from them (with permission, of course.)

    Eliza, the tweetup was one of my favorite parts. Twitter is changing my behavior and choices--and opening up new opportunities for fun. I'm an addict, I confess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was awesome meeting you in person, Keri. I just, you know, like everyone else, wish you'd kinda perk up a little. I must say on the subject of 'naughty pictures drawn,' that I viewed said 'naughty pictures' and can attest to it's naughtiness. I don't think I'll ever be able to get the vision out of my mind -- nor, really, do I want to. However, it will change the way I envision oh, so many of my favorite erotic romances from this point forward. So, um, thanks for that. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe Evelyn Trent was the artist who created the evocative drawings of Stick People In Love, Michelle. I see the possibilities of a new movement in cover art, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you brought that cd boombox! My little daycare boy loved it. It was so nice meeting you and eavesdropping on some of your conversations with others too..LOL You're a hoot! That jeopardy game was fabulous too. I know I'd have been disqualified for participating in the bookcover game as I knew most of them! hahaha Hope to see you next year. I've yet to miss one! :-)

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah. Stick People in Love. I'd like to commission a series of etchings by the artist on that theme. Then I can lure unsuspecting young men to my home with the promise of furthering their careers as cover models with the line, "Please, won't you come to my home to view my etchings?"

    Perhaps Evelyn was the 'performance/mixed-media artist' working in cups and wine bottles? Oh, I wish you'd gotten all that on film...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Keri!
    It was wondeful meeting you at the get-together and thank you so much for showing me how to twitter. Now to remember it! :-)

    Thanks for coming to my brunch. You always light up an event with your energy. Hope to see you at some of the Ohio Valley meetings and of course next year at the get-together.

    Hugs, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dianne,
    I bought real, honest-to-goodness bacon and am planning to put my family through the Castell Quiche some time this week.

    Brunch was a lovely transition from hotel to your sunporch to the real world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete