Sunday, August 2, 2009

Biorhythmic Writing? A Method, or an Excuse?

I do not get up at 4:00 AM to write. I hear about writers who do (quite often, in fact), but I've never been up at that hour to witness such a feat.

I don't write at 2:00 or so in the afternoon. That's nap time, and I'll end up face forward in my keyboard. I'm not saying I actually nap--but my body drags and my mind goes blank and my fingers go slack at 2:00PM.

My best hours are about 6:45-10a and 7-9p. Unfortunately, my body is most up for a good sit-down while I'm pushing the Stevens-sons out the door, teaching my morning fitness classes for the day job or eating dinner.

So what do you when your writing and the flow of your life conflict? How do you harness the energy from 8:00AM to use it at one in the afternoon or even three in the morning?

Do you change your schedule, or do you power through?

(And pardon me, do, if this post is slightly incoherent. It's 2:27PM and my over-long acrylic nails keep tapping the wrong keys).

5 comments:

  1. I don't think it's an excuse. I do think our bodies are trained to behave according to our lifestyles. My internal body clock changes with the seasons due to my four boys sports activities, therefore; my body is tired at different times, our dinner time changes as well as my writing time. My husband and I still work during the day, but the night has to change.
    My writing during school is best at 2 pm b/c I am in car line for over a hour. I also write during my boys soccer and football practices which is around 6pm. During basketball I generally write around 7pm. But my all time best is about 8-10 pm. I love reality tv and I use that as background noise-doesn't bother me.
    I can't even function before 7:30 am, just in time for me to get ready for work or kids to school...NOT A MORNING WRITER!! I am off on Fridays, during the summer=pool, during the school year=writing all day.
    I admire those who can write early, but my brain doesn't gel until the sun is really up. I do write everyday and can generally pull out 3-5k words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play on the computer in the a.m. and do my work at Barnes & Noble. Also do any non-fiction interviews. In the afternoon I tend to work on non-fiction writing (ye olde day job) and save my fiction for evening and on into the wee hours of the morning. It's quieter then, anyway -- no phone calls after midnight, for one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented here I know I did. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya--I really admire how you have structured your writing into your live and vice versa. And Becke, I've already decided you just don't sleep.

    Crystal--I believe you. Sure I do! Thanks for the RT, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't do much of anything between 2 and 4pm. My brain just shuts down. I learned in high school to schedule study hall for that last class of the day - and in college, pretty much the same thing (library time!)

    My best hours are from 10pm until about 2am. Tuesday night I wrote 1k between 11:30p and 12am - it just rolled out. I could have kept going but had taken a benadryl and was almost face-down ...

    I'm naturally nocturnal. If I tried to get up and write at 5am like some writers do, it'd pretty much be suicide.

    When I know I'm going to be sitting somewhere, I take a notebook.

    ReplyDelete