Thursday, April 21, 2011

Welcome, Jules Bennett!


Jules Bennett is a rising star in Harlequin's Desire line. I'm honored that she agreed to let me pepper her with questions about her books, her characters and her writing life. Her latest release, HER INNOCENCE, HIS CONQUEST is heating up my Kindle as we speak.

Jules, what are the core characteristics of a "Bennett hero"?

My men have to have a soft heart when it comes to women. A little bit of a troubled past always makes for a stronger man. I love when he's at war with himself over anything, that makes him seem human and vulnerable. But he MUST be a great protector, yet know when to step aside and let the woman take the lead.

Tell us a bit about your writing process.

Oh, how I wish I was a panster. I want to just sit down and let the story fly out my fingertips. Unfortunately I have a military dad and everything is planned...EVERYTHING! I'm talking spreadsheets here - can you say boring?
I have to have silence. No silence, no work. Simple as that. So I write in the middle of the night when my family is asleep because there's no silence in a house with a 5 and 3 year old. No routine (refer back to the age of kids). I wish I did because I like structure (refer back to military papa).

How do you like to connect with readers?

I hang on Twitter, that's my breather from writing. I keep my readers updated through my Facebook Fan Page and do contests through that as well. Locally I do many radio interviews, speak at my college and library, and make sure all my books are signed in the stores around my area.

Tell us about Her Innocence, His Conquest.
Architecture kingpin and expert playboy Zach Marcum knew exactly how to get what he wanted—both on the job and in the bedroom. Until sexy, independent and impossible-to-ignore Ana Clark charged into his life. Her construction company could make his luxury resort project a multimillion-dollar reality, but he couldn't risk letting the career-driven siren slip past his defenses. Discovering she was a virgin made the seduction stakes even greater, as Zach crossed the line from business to pleasure….

And a little more about Jules...

Wife to her high school sweetheart, mother to two little girls, former salon owner—oh, and author—Jules Bennett isn't afraid to tackle the blessings of life head-on. Once she sets a goal in her sights, get out of her way or come along for the ride…just ask her husband.
Jules lives in the Midwest where she loves spending time with her family and making memories. Jules's love extends beyond her family and books. She's an avid shoe, hat and purse connoisseur. She feels that her font of knowledge when it comes to accessories is essential when setting a scene.
Jules participates in the Harlequin Desire Author Blog and holds launch contests through her Web site when she has a new release. Please visit her Web site, where you can sign up for her newsletter to keep up to date on everything in Jules's life.

14 comments:

  1. Great Interview!

    leanne_gag[AT]hotmail[DOT]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Love the core characteristics of a "Bennett hero". Exactly the kind of guy I like to read about. Congrats on your latest release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules, hello! HER INNOCENCE sounds terrific, and I'm so excited to read about your success. Every time I turn around, you have a new book on the way -- congratulations and keep 'em coming!

    ~J~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jules and her stories! It amazes me how quickly she get these books out and having a family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne, thanks so much!

    Christina, I love a good hero! He totally makes the book:)

    Jenn, there for a while I felt like everytime I turned around myself there was always a release;) There will only be one this year, though.

    Tonya, I love you, too:) It takes me 8 weeks to write a Desire - doesn't feel quick to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need total silence to write too. I can pants sometimes but I usually have a few pages of notes in between. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No pants here AT ALL. God, I wish I could. Not only do I outline to death, I edit to death. Surely there's a simpler process. I just haven't found it;)

    Thanks, Brooklyn Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice interview, Keri! I'm gonna have to snap me up some Jules Bennett reads! I love the premise of Her Innocence...and need to feed my Desire habit which I haven't lately.

    Congrats on the new release, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my favorite writers...Jules and Keri! What a nice Friday bonus! Enjoy your Easter, Ladies!
    Morgan Malone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone (and Morgan--I blush!). Big thanks to Jules for coming over to my place to play!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Gabriella! I love when people "snap" me up:) Hope you enjoy it and thanks for stopping by!

    Oh, Morgan, Keri and I are thrilled to be someone's fave...aren't we, Keri:)

    THANK YOU, MISS KERI FOR HAVING ME! You are such a delight and I loved coming into your playground:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry I'm late! I'd hate to miss out on the fabulousness of a Jules-and-Keri party!

    Love Jules, love her books - looking forward to partying with you at Lori Foster's event!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LATE-BREAKING COOLNESS:

    Jules's April 2010 Desire, FOR BUSINESS...OR MARRIAGE? Just won a National Reader's Choice Award.

    Congratulations, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keri, I'm a finalist! The winners will be announced at Nationals in NY! But I'm in SUCH good company with some other Desire authors and a chapter mate;)

    ReplyDelete