Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Celebrating Carina Press's 1st Anniversary with Harlequin's Amy Wilkins

I'm proud to share my blog today with Angela James, Executive Editor of Carina Press (MY publisher!) and Amy Wilkins of Carina Press/Harlequin. My blog (along with 18 others) is celebrating the first anniversary of the place where "no great story goes untold." Please enjoy Amy's post and comment at the end before 9A eastern on Wednesday because this party has great prizes--including a Kobo eReader.

And now...here's Angela!

In celebration of our one year anniversary, I asked as many of our Harlequin team members and Carina Press freelance editors as possible to write a short blog post, talking about what the past year or so has been like for them, working on Carina Press. I deliberately didn't provide any direction other than that, because I wanted to see what people came up with, in the spirit of Carina's 1st anniversary. I was so pleased when I saw what they'd all come up with, and had to say (and some of these posts made me just a little teary)! I hope you enjoy the post, and look for your opportunity to win a Carina Press book at the bottom of this post. ~Angela James

Amy Wilkins is Assistant Manager of Digital Content and Social Media at Harlequin and a member of the Carina Press Acquisition Team. When not making sure our ebooks get made, Amy manages two Harlequin blogs and the @HarlequinBooks Twitter account, and builds her eReader collection (3 so far!) in her spare time. You can follow her on Twitter.

Glutton for Punishment, Carina Press-Style
By Amy Wilkins, Harlequin Digital and Carina Press Acquisition Team

It’s been one year since Carina Press launched on June 7, 2010. Of course, for most of us here at Carina Press and Harlequin, it feels a lot longer. Months before that date, we were reading submissions, reviewing covers, formatting files, building websites and thousands of other tasks to build a new business.

I could say that since then things have calmed down. That would be a total lie. Personally, I’m as busy as ever… I like to call my job on Harlequin’s ebook program my “full-time job.” Everything else – managing some of Harlequin’s social media properties and working on the Carina Press acquisition team, for example – is extra.

But you know what? I wouldn’t change a thing.

Last week, my department faced a HUGE deadline for a project. Cue panic and string of crises. In the midst of this deadline, we had a Carina cover copy review meeting. Jenny Bullough (my boss :) ) said I could skip to work on the other project….

My response: “But…I like our cover copy meetings!”

It’s no secret I looooove writing cover copy; it’s my favorite part of my job. And I love the Carina meetings where we talk about our books and have so much fun that we’ve joked about live tweeting one. I know you’re curious about how many times we say “sexytimes” per meeting (hint: a LOT). How many people can say they have a job where meetings are fun?

So I wasn’t going to miss that meeting. I worked late the day before so just I could attend.
I think that’s one reason Carina Press is so special. Everyone on the team from freelance staff, the writers, to us here at Carina/Harlequin will give that extra time, take on brand-new tasks and yes, sometimes be gluttons for punishment, because we love what we do.

So Happy Birthday, Carina Press. Here’s to many more years!
(BTW, we did meet that deadline. :) )

To celebrate Carina's one year anniversary of publishing books, we're giving away some prizes. Today, on each of the nineteen blogs our team members are featured on, we're giving away a download of a Carina Press book to one random winner (that's nineteen total winners!) All you need to do to be entered to win is comment on this post. You can enter to win on all nineteen posts. In addition, on the Carina Press blog, we're giving away a grand prize of a Kobo ereader and 12 Carina Press books of the winner's choice. Visit the Carina Press blog to enter to win, and to see links to all 19 of today's blog posts.

And a sincere thank you from all of us, to our readers and authors, for making Carina Press's first year a success!

58 comments:

  1. Amy, thank you for celebrating on my blog. I'm honored to have you! I'm also proud that my Carina book,STONE KISSED, won the Golden Quill for "best first book" this year. We have a lot to celebrate today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this great success! May many more years follow.

    Deann
    mark_bakerette2004@yahoo.com

    PS, thanks for the great prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary :D
    Been hopping around a lot today reading great posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I hope you publish another Keri Stevens book every year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting my post today, Keri, and congrats on your award win!

    Now I'm off to a Carina acquisition meeting to acquire more books, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! These posts are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Amy!
    Congratulations on a successful first year!

    I think it is great that you enjoy your job so much that you will work longer hours when necessary. Having a fun job makes the little sacrifices totally worth it.

    user1123 AT comcast DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, thanks for such great cover copy...an art form in itself! Wishing you and Carina Press even greater success in the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It isn't very often you hear someone say they want to go a meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy one year anniversary. Wishing you many more successful years.
    Crystal816[at}hotmail[dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! I remember when Carina started last year, and everyone was waiting around to see what it would be like--well, it's been a success! Every Carina book I've read, I've liked! Congratulations on a great launch.

    ~Cam
    camryn.rhys(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm waiting (im)patiently for Keri's Book 2. No pressure though. Will it be ready next week? ;-)

    I like the whole concept of Carina and am glad it's been such a success. It's a great way to get some terrific authors out there, and ebooks rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the first anniversary! I can't believe it's been a year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Amy, for swinging by between acquisitions. Looking forward to hearing from you more later, when you can make it.

    Kaethe and Tira - I'm working on it, trust me!

    So good to see so many people hopping through. Don't forget to go over to www.Carinapress.com and enter the big Kobo contest, and hop around to the other blogs for books to fill the ereader.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @StacieDM - The meetings really are a hoot. I do hope we will be able to live tweet one (without naming names or books). We have a summer student in the office and on her first day she came to an acquisition meeting -- complete with discussion of an erotic male/male. Talk about trial by fire! no time to be embarrassed in our world!

    @Carol - You're welcome - I know who wrote the copy for your books so I'll pass along the compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, happy first anniversary to you and Carina Press! I'm sure glad you and your co-workers love what you do so much--we readers sure reap the benefits! Looking forward to many more great titles (with fabulous covers and copy) to come!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sexytimes! I would *love* to see a live tweet of a meeting like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary! And can I say, I for one, am thrilled the CP staff is so fabulous. That's why there are so many wonderful books to read! =D

    ReneeRearden(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary Carina Press! A lot of hard work goes into creating these books and I thank you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay!! Happy Anniversary!!

    jess [at] gonewiththewords [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carina Press Rocks! They have some of the best authors! Happy Anniversary!


    sgalley65 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary Carina Press!

    Yay Angela!

    Thank you for sharing the wonderful post Amy.

    All the best,

    RKCharron

    ReplyDelete
  23. The more I hear about those meetings, the more I wish you'd live-tweet one. :) Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary Carina and Amy! Sounds like it's been an incredibly busy year. Hope year 2 is as good or better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary! Carina has had some awesome books this past year, glad I got to read a few!

    shiderly77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great anniversary party so far today! It's hot as the blazes here. Reading many of the Carina Press books won't help that - when we write "sexytimes," we Carina authors write 'em right. But did you know not all Carina books are romances? Carina also has great mysteries, sci-fi and other genres of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Echoing your words, Amy.. Happy Birthday and here's to many more!!!

    Seeing behind the scenes is so fun :) Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Anniversary Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on a fabulous year, and thanks for sharing your celebration with us.


    caity_mack at yahoo dot com
    cathy m

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats on a awesome first year!!

    Lisa B
    modokker at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on Carina's first year anniversary! Amy, it's so easy to see how much you love your job - thanks for sharing your insights. Keri - Congratulations on winning the Golden Quill for Stone Kissed - WTG!! Wishing all of you continued success!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations for such a grand and successful year.

    Thanks to Carina Press, I've discovered many new authors.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a perfect illustration! :) I don't think I know anyone in any other kind of job who would do all that to NOT skip a meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy anniversary Carina Press! I'm thinking of doing epubbing real soon, since I'm getting nowhere with querying agents. Would love to win the prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy One Year anniversary Carina Press1 I hope there are more years. Y'all have wonderful authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy anniversary, Carina Press! I wish you many wonderful years to come:)
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. All the time and hard work have really paid off. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy anniversary Carina Press. Hope the next year is even greater!

    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Anniversary! I am so proud of everything you have achieved and I can't wait to celebrate all your future successes!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy Anniversary, Carina Press! And many more!

    ironss [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy Anniversary to everyone at Carina Press!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sexytimes and Congratulations!! :) It means a lot to all of us as readers that you're a "glutton for punishment." Maybe one day I'll join in as one of the writers. Wonderful post and congratulations again!

    emilystarr373@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. everyone should have a job where one gets to say "sexytimes" at meetings! congrats on a wonderful year! i'm looking forward to many more

    ReplyDelete
  44. Happy Anniversary! Here's to many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Darn, I am going to have to bookmark so I can go back later and read all of these posts over again. I am skimming and I know I am missing stuff! Happy Anniversary Carina Press!
    jepebATverizonDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  46. Congrats on one year, Carina!
    I am officially jealous of ya'll getting to work at such an awesome place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congrats on one year!
    marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Happy birthday Carina. I'm enjoying seeing the different personalities at Carina by following these posts. It's great to see that "fun" or maybe love of work seems to be a recurring theme.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Looking forward to year two and more great books.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Amy, if you love meetings, you REALLY must love your job. That's a blessing.

    You all were smart enough to snatch up Keri, so that should get you some extra "sexytimes" chest bumps, or high fives.

    Angela, we missed you at Lori Foster. Thanks for helping co-sponsor; it was a great conference.

    A year ago I remember you explaining the name "carina" came from some sort of star. Congrats in setting high goals and working toward them.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Happy Anniversary!

    You sound very busy :)
    gigi

    ReplyDelete
  52. Lol what a wonderful office where you can speak about the books you read! :-D sounds dreamy, lol!

    Thanks to you this last year I have discovered so many wonderful new authors, series, books and many have become favourites of mine, THANK YOU!

    Congratulations to the whole Carina team and Happy 1st anniversary, here's to many more! :-)

    stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Happy Anniversary, Carina! I'm a huge fan of Keri's STONE KISSED and I'm looking forward to my friend Adrienne Giordano's upcoming release at Carina, too.

    I got to know a lot of Carina authors when they joined me at the B&N mystery forum during our Month of Romantic Suspense: http://bit.ly/lnWhNB

    So, are you passing out virtual chocolate and frou-frou umbrella drinks, Keri?

    ReplyDelete