Wednesday, March 7, 2012

There Are No Mondays For Writers

This post is proudly a stop on the TEXAS TWO STEP Blog Tour. For a complete listing of all stops on this tour, please visit here. All contests are for U.S. residents only unless otherwise noted. Comments left on this blog will be counted toward the Texas Two Step Faithful Follower Gift Certificate. To see a complete listing of Blog Tour Prizes, click here. Be sure to check out the freebies. Yours for the asking as long as they last.
Thank you to Keri for turning over her blog to me today. I met Keri online but she was invaluable to me during my term as PRO Liaison to the RWA Board. Thanks, Keri!
Mondays. Not the favorite day of the week for many people. Ask people about Mondays and you’ll might get responses like…
Monday, Monday…Can’t trust that day…(For you youngsters who don’t remember The Mommas and The Papas, I’ll give you a video to watch)

Or maybe someone will mutter...It's Another Manic Monday!



or you might hear...











Sadly, if you ask Roxanne St. Claire about Mondays, you'll get, "The Bachelor!!"
Just in case you haven't seen Ellen as part of The Bachelor's bachelorettes...

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

If you listened to the Manic Monday video, one of the lines is.."Wish it were Sunday. It's my fun day." That simply doesn't work for writers. Sundays can be just another day in the week for writers.

Here’s the deal with authors…Mondays don’t matter. There are no “Mondays” for writers. Monday is pretty much like every other day of the week.

Weekends? What are those? We still have to write, or edit, or answer fan mail, or blog, or do some type of promo.

The other problem? When we're NOT writing, we feel guilty for not writing. When we're writing, we are simply in another world, incommunicado with family and friends. You cannot imagine the number of times my husband has come spoken to me while I'm writing and I either don't respond or have no idea what he's talking about.

This morning (I'm writing this on MONDAY!! No rest for the wicked.) I got the nicest note from a woman who'd just finished reading Texas Two Step. In part it read, "Just got done reading your Texas two step book and LOVED It..Just wondering when the next book will be out so I can pre-order it.." Talk about something really making my day!
So I feel guilty that I spent the weekend mailing out my Texas Two Step Freebies (check the bottom of this post for more info), writing a couple of guest blogs that were due, and taking a couple of long naps! What should I have been doing? Writing of course.
So my point is that every day in a writer's life is a Monday. There are no days away from work. The work is always with you, always on your mind. If I'm not actually writing, I'm thinking about writing.
If you think I'm complaining about the life of a writer, you'd be wrong. See the paragraph above from the Texas Two Step reader? We all live for those notes! I love being a writer and touching the lives of readers. I love giving a reader a few hours of pure fantasy away from their daily grind.
So the next time you read a book and really liked it, drop the author a note, review it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Goodreads (or all of them!). That special scene in the book that really made the book for you might have been written on Sunday, or Monday, or Tuesday, or..well, you get the idea!
Have you ever written a note or email to an author about a book you just read? Tell me about it. What was the book and author? What was so moving about the book that you just had to let the author know?
If you’ve stumbled across my Texas Two Step blog tour over the past month, you may be aware that many of my author friends volunteered to be Blog Tour Sponsors and donated books for me to give as prizes. Today's blog is special. I'm giving away TWO books!

MA Golla writes wonderful Middle Grade books. If you've got a child between 8 and 12, you'll want to win Lost Leprechaun Loot. Margaret will send a digital copy to one lucky person who leaves a comment. To find out more about Margaret, visit Website, Twitter or Facebook.
My other Blog Tour Author Sponsor today is Carina Press author Natalie Damschroder. Natalie will send Behind The Scenes to one lucky person who leaves a comment. To find out more about today’s Blog Tour Sponsor, you can visit her Website, Twitter or Facebook.

To learn more about me check out these links:
And if those aren’t enough, Sign up for inside scoops and special contests by receiving the newsletter I share with my blog buddies.
Remember! Leave a comment for a chance to win either Margaret or Natalie's book!
Texas Two Step is available at Samhain, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble or your favorite online bookstore.
This will be me if you buy Texas Two Step!

Thanks Keri for letting me play here today!

Don't forget to ask for your freebie!


34 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I am honored to be a stop on your Grand Tour! Congratulations on the accolades for Texas Two Step and for being a Samhain bestseller. Thank you for being so generous to my blog followers--looking forward to sharing your books AND goodies AND MA Golla's book with them. And now--let's party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me! Now be honest...you're too young to remember the Mamas and Papas, right?

      Delete
    2. I sing harmony on California Dreamin', Missy.

      Delete
  2. I hate to sat this but I remember The Mamas and The Papas. Gosh, now I feel old. Thanks Cynthia. I wrote a letter to Judy Blume when I was young (many, many years ago)after I read her book Forever. It felt so real to me, like I knew Katherine and Michael personally. That's how you should feel when reading a book. This is what I told Judy Blume. Congrats on the new release. Thanks for the blog tour. I'm sad to see it end. Continued success.

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! The blog tour may be ending, but I have a heavy online presence...most of the time. Sometimes I'll hide for days if I get snowed in with too much work. After this tour is over, I'll probably disappear for a few days. I'm behind on my writing!

      Thanks for being such a faithful tour follower.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming to my corner of the blogoverse, Joanne. Cynthia rocks and I'm glad you've gotten to follow her tour.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading the comments. I remember the Mamas and the Qpapas music. yes, if I like a book I always send a note to the author If I can find the author's addy.
    I just finished reading the book by Catherine Anderson and I sent her a note. it was a very good story with interesting dialogue and characters. I always send a note to an author if I won their book in a contest. It behooves me to do that as a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess to squealing like a teenage girl who won a date with Justin Bever when I got my first fan letter for Texas Two Step. I'm surprised you guys didn't hear it! :)

      Sorry Joye, but you'll be singing Monday Monday all day! :) Ear worm.

      I can assure you that Catherine Anderson treasured your note. It used to be hard to write a author...get a piece of paper, find a pen, scratch it on the paper and discover there is no ink, get another ink pen, write your note, find an envelop without something spilled on it, spend thirty minutes looking for stamp before throwing the whole mess in the trash and giving up.

      Now? click on author's email or contact me page, write your note, click send.

      I need to do this more too!

      Thanks for coming by and leaving a message

      Delete
    2. Cynthia's right--those handwritten notes end up on our bulletin boards next to photos of men who remind us of the heroes we're writing about!

      Delete
    3. seriously, I could do without the hunky men photos if I had fan mail to replace them with! Fan mail makes me want to WRITE MORE BOOKS!

      Delete
  4. Cyndi, I had such fun with this blog. I didn't know that Rocki watched the Bachelor, too! (I don't admit to many that I do...wait! I just did!) For you serious Monday night watchers, a tip. I'm sure he's going to choose the wrong one! There! I've said it! And I'm also saying that Texas Two Step is a must!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice works about Texas Two Step. IMHO, EVERYBODY should just follow one of the purchase links above and BUY MY BOOK! :)

      Don't watch the bachelor but not impressed AT ALL with this year's guy. Don't like hair. Don't like that he's basically sleeping with multiple girls, giving them false signals. Not hero material for sure!

      Thanks for coming by Judy.

      Delete
    2. I don't watch the bachelor because I get too upset with those young women (and yeah--what is with this guy's hair? Not that I know because, you know, I don't watch it...and that one brunette is EVIL...)

      Delete
  5. I have to disagree on the statement that there are no Monday's for writers. For those of us who work a day job in addition to writing, Monday is ofteb the day we start our two-job work week.

    Love the Mamas and the Papas, and also the Bangles. Add in the Boomtown Rats and 'I Don't Like Mondays' and we're all set.

    When I particularly enjoy a book, I always try to send the author a note through email, FB, or Twitter. As an author, I know that hearing from readers can turn a horrible day upside down, so I always try to share the love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Monday starts your workweek FOR YOUR OTHER JOB! Your writer job probably continued through the weekend, so Monday doesn't start your writing week, right?

      Notes are great, aren't they?

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  6. I agrea with Margaret. Two-job work weeks can be soooo long. I also love the Mamas and the Paps and the Bangles. I love to listen to music when I write and read. Kills the background noise in my life. When I finish a book I tweet and facebook about it and send a note to the author.
    Great post Thanks
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do as many notes to authors as I once was. I need to put that responsibility higher on my to=do list.

      See my note to Margaret. I still say Mondays don't start your "writing week" as your writing pretty much continues 7 days a week.

      Delete
    2. For me, if there's a "Monday" it's Saturday. With the husband home (on a Saturday when there are no prior commitments) I can lock myself in my office and be reasonably assured that if the sons are going to burn down the house it will be supervised disaster, at least.

      Delete
  7. Great post and topic!! For me, Sunday nights are my "ugh Monday" moments..... when I measure up all I didn't get done on the weekend and all that is looming in the week ahead. Blergh!!

    And leave it to Keri's blog to plant a Monday earworm........LOL I'm gonna be off on my days the rest of the week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! It's Wednesday, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. today is Wednesday? *runs to check TV schedule* yep. Survivor is on!

      Thanks Lynda for coming by

      Delete
  8. The first note I ever wrote to an author was to Megan Hart. I was married at the time and my husband had been away on business for most of the last 3 months. I wrote to her to let her know that I spent all of my free time reading through her backlist. Reading her books had helped me deal with being lonely. She wrote me back too.

    geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great that she got back to you, Stacie!

      Delete
    2. Megan Hart is great, isn't she? I love to find a new author I love with a backlist I can glom!

      Thank Stacie for coming by today and leaving a message

      Delete
  9. For the 4 years I was only a writer and freelance editor, I actually loved Mondays. I often didn't work on the weekends, and on Mondays I got back to being by myself and focusing only on the writing (and the freelance work).

    Now I'm back to weekends being bigger writing days than any other most of the time, and there being no such thing as time off. :)

    I often send frightening e-mails to authors berating them for making me wait so long for the next book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Stephen King wrote a book about that, Natalie...

      Delete
    2. BRAWHAHAHA Keri. I do believe you're right.

      Natalie - I'm not scared of you :)

      Delete
    3. That's cuz I haven't demanded book 2 yet, Cyndi! LOL

      Delete
  10. Hi Cynthia!
    A few years ago I read a book called SIGHS MATTERS by Marianne Stillings, and adored it so much (romantic suspense done right!) I sent her an e-mail to tell her. I was thrilled to know I made her day. :)

    Now, with goodreads - I feel like I write a lot of "love letters" to authors by giving heartfelt reviews of their books.

    I try not to write on Sundays, but you're right, other little catch up things need my attention. I do believe we all need a day of rest, though! It's good for both body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would buy that book on the title alone.

      Delete
    2. I think you are wise. I know there are writers who write every single day. But I like the idea of having a day off.

      I confess that I only review and posts books to Goodreads that I like.

      Thanks Lynne for coming by.

      Delete
  11. I have written an email to an author about her book. I think it was Christine Wells(?). It has been a while since I read the book so I guess I need to read it again. :)

    E. Thompson
    thompsonem3(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the book was good enough to prompt a note, then yeah. Rereading it sounds like a solid plan.

      thanks for coming by

      Delete
  12. This post is now closed for the Faithful Follower Contest.

    The book winners are:
    E.Thompson for MA Golla's book
    Lynne Marshall for Natalie Damschroder's book

    Congratulations ladies. Thanks for vising my tour.

    ReplyDelete